Today is the last day of 2017…
It’s a time to reflect on the past and plan for the future. As we close on the year that I turned 40 (am I now officially middle-aged or has that time frame changed as our life expectancies grow?) I thought I’d share a few morsels of wisdom that 40 years of experience on Planet Earth have given me. Take note young ones.
- This is YOUR life. Take control of it. It is not your role to do whatever any other person wants you to do, in order to make THEM happy.
- Start running towards the things that scare you. If you get too comfortable, you’ll end up uphappy wondering if there is more out there.
- Leave the past behind. Nothing can change it and the more you look behind you, the more you’ll fail to see the wonderful things ahead of you.
- Walk away from things that don’t make you happy. The obligations you think you have to attend to. The people you’re afraid to let down. Leave behind the guilt you feel for choosing what you want even though it doesn’t align with other peoples wishes.
- Leave the job you don’t like and spend your life complaining to others about. Stop investing time and energy in something you’ve outgrown. That’s why it is not working. Understand it’s nothing to do with you or your work but that chapter is over. Find a new challenge, even though it’s scary and attack it with full heart.
- There are always people around you who have more than you. There are also always people around you who have less than you, so be grateful for what you have. Stop comparing yourself to others. You are on different paths, and you will lose track of the path you are walking when you focus too much on someone else’s path. Then you’ll become jealous.
- Leave behind negative and toxic relationships and understand how people like that influence your happiness and well being. Leave physically if you have to.
- You become what you think about.
- No one is responsible for your happiness. Happiness is not something readymade. It comes from your own actions.
- Think big and don’t listen to people who tell you it can’t be done. Life’s too short to think small.
Jase and I are looking forward to 2018. It’s going to be a busy year full of challenges, physical work projects and travel. Our hope for 2018 is that our families and friends stay healthy, stay happy, stay surrounded by love and stay safe.
Remember you don’t need a new year to make a change, you can make one anytime. Make up your mind, and go for it.
See you later 2017. You’ve been mostly swell, and we’re looking forward to seeing what 2018 will bring.
(Photo taken by my Uncle Kevin)